Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy Friday!

Well here we are, week 1 of the new year is done and a full week of working out and sticking with clean eating is going well. I am quite impressed with how I feel overall and how strong it makes me mentally. Who knew?! Maybe there is some truth to the idea that our food is poison to our bodies!

I know I was not supposed to but I jumped on the scale yesterday just to see where I was at and I must say that despite the fact that I am eating more now that I ever have during the day I am losing weight and gaining muscle. I am down 4 pounds and feeling strong. For those that want to know what I am doing I am following Jamie Eason's LiveFit it's amazing. The only thing that I do different is that I am eating clean and not following her eating plan to a T- I just need more variety and taste in my food or I think I will go off track easily.

My typical day is waking up at 445am, having a pre-workout drink (new fave is Jack3D) and a piece of Ezekiel bread with all natural peanut butter. Lucky for me my "gym" is in the basement with all the weights and things I would need so I do not have to drive anywhere but I am working out until about 615am then I grab a banana with my protein shake and get ready for work. While getting ready I get my 5 egg whites in with tons of veggies and I am out the door. Then it is simply to eat small meals every 3 hours. For me I find that I am most hungry in the morning so at my 1015 meal I have my turkey balls and then in the afternoon I just have a protein shake at work.

I am feeling really good on the plan so far and enjoying the workout. I think that for me, when I walk into a gym without a plan I get so overwhelmed and not sure what to do so I meander around, spend some time on a treadmill and work a ton of machines without a good idea to what to do. This plan has taught me more about what muscle groups to train and like I said I get to work out at home but there are times that I wish I was in a gym because I could expand on those workouts. For example, I cannot do leg press at home but I do dumbbell squats - works the same but it just feels different.

In 51 days I will be going on a cruise so that is also in the back of my mind, how can I enjoy the food while sticking with my program. At that time I will be heavy into lifting with a huge cario requirement. Fortunately cruise ships these days usually have a good gym so I am planning on using that a lot. My goal is to eat clean for the day and then at dinner I am indulge a little more than normal.

Yesterday I came home to find that my partner not only slipped up a little but sat down and literally ate and entire pizza. Although I was partially jealous because it sure smelled good I was also glad that it wasn't me. It made me feel stronger in my resolve that food is just fuel and although I desire it to taste good I don't need the wrong types of food in my body. I am better without it. So far not having sodas and processed food has not been a problem, sure there have been temptations but this is not a diet. This is a lifestyle and until I get my mind under control I cannot rely on just having a taste every now and then. My now and then turns into a train wreck!

The nice thing about eating clean and healthy is that it makes going out to dinner something that we do not enjoy because of how unhealthy that can be. That being said our first dinner out for the new year will be to Prime Quarter so we can grill our own steak, minus the butter and other things they add, have 1 small potato and a nice salad -minus the awful salad dressing. I am looking forward to it and can't wait to join some friends for a good time.

So...happy friday, make good food choices and get moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment