Saturday, May 4, 2013

Intro Class DONE!

Showed up for my intro class this morning and was pleasantly surprised that the coach and other person taking the class with me were there early as well. Started with a tour of the box and general explanation of what we were going to be doing today.

The warmup/stretching time we did for about 20ish min, even after doing martial arts consistently for over a year now I found they had better techniques for getting my hips to open up and got a much better stretch. I can see already how this will help me in my martial arts classes with my kicks.

After that we took some time to learn how to use wall balls, kettle bells and do a proper pushup. Sure. I got this, not that difficult. Our coach took us to the board and showed us how the workouts are listed each week and what they mean. Then he wrote our workout on the board.

7-Wall Ball
14 - Kettle bell swings
7 - pushups
6 minutes

Initially I didn't think this would be too difficult to do either, average 2 min per thing...I can do anything for 6 min. Silly newbie. This is crossfit after all, not a lazy day! By my 3rd round I was really starting to get the idea on how this works. By my 5th rotation my arms had started shaking and the pushup started to feel impossible. Our coach yelled that we had 60 seconds left and I heaved that wall ball up as hard as I could, squatting as low as I could get, suddenly those 8lb balls felt like a ton of bricks!

Whew we made it! This is no joke. I love it. I love the intensity, the challenge, the fact that you can push your body to exhaustion that quickly. I love that today I find it difficult but next week I might be able to do it better, and the next week I will do even better than that.

I signed up right away for my On-Ramp session which starts in a week. It will be 2 weeks of classes to teach me what I need to know about the movements that we do in class.

6 min. Exhaustion. My arms are still shaking 3 hours later. Awesome.

I get it. I understand now. I am hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment